Text: Genesis 22 -- Abraham said, "God Himself will provide....."
I. If I'd edited the Bible, this story would be missing
- Take your son and sacrifice him....
- What kind of God is this?
- It's only 22 chapters in, why keep reading?
II. Story of father and son separated in a tornado
- Tragedy can have a happy ending
- Out text from Genesis -- story of Abraham and Isaac
- If only the story just ended at chapter 21....
III. Not a bedtime story for kids - OR ADULTS!
- Is it the story of Abraham gone bad?
- Does it tell us how bad ancient cultures were>
- Is it relevant today? YES
- We still sacrifice children on altars of sex, war, race, ....
- We MUST do better with our children
IV: Question: What kind of God is this?
- Real meaning in this: Abraham's response/faith
- Abraham trusts that God will and God does
- We are not so quick to say "God will provide"
V. Jewish theologian Eliezer Berkovita studies
- Why did Jews remain faithful in the Holocaust?
- The same reason Abraham did
- There is no life without God -- we must trust God
VI. Faith is about trust and love
- Sometimes our relationship hurts/bewilders
- Margaret Adams Parker's woodcut
- Radical trust and the love that will not let us go
- Relationship with God is not for the risk-averse